Regular cleaning and flossing are important components of healthy oral hygiene, but these are not enough. Hermosa Dental, located near you in the East Little York neighborhood of Houston, wants to share 9 additional tips for your dental health.
- Children need fluoride to strengthen teeth present through the gum line and those teeth still forming within the jaw. If research finds that your municipal water supply does not contain the recommended fluoride standard, then your pediatrician should be consulted about fluoride supplements.
- Everyone should spend at least 2 minutes thoroughly and gently brushing all surfaces of their teeth. Brushing the tongue where bacteria can flourish is also good practice.
- Flossing before brushing will loosen the food particles between the teeth. This allows for the bristles to maneuver between the teeth and for the particles to be removed by rinsing.
- Chew sugarless gum with xylitol if you cannot brush after a meal. Xylitol is known to inhibit the growth of bacteria upon the teeth and reduce plaque formation.
- Eat carbohydrates with meals as opposed to alone as snacks. The effects of carbohydrates on the teeth are lessened when more saliva is produced after eating a full meal.
- Use a fluoride rinse before bedtime for extra protection against tooth decay. Do not rinse as leaving the residue rinse on your teeth overnight will strengthen the enamel.
- For those with diabetes, you need to understand that high sugar levels increase the risk of tooth decay and other oral conditions. Contact Hermosa Dental for a consultation if you are experiencing dental complications relating to diabetes.
- Beware of the risks of chronic dry mouth, or xerostomia. Constant and continual saliva production is a key component of a healthy oral cavity. Medicines for blood pressure, decongestants and some painkillers can cause the onset of xerostomia.
- Wear a mouthguard when participating in sports.
The dentists and the team of trusted dental professionals at Hermosa Dental are available for consultations in general, cosmetic and restorative treatments and procedures. Hermosa Dental, located on Highway 6 in Houston, Texas, is trusted and highly recommended in serving the dental needs of current and new patients with the application of modern and innovative technology.