Drinking coffee first thing in the morning is definitely the way most of us stay sane throughout the day. But do you know the liquid that keeps you awake might be responsible for tooth discoloration? Yes, drinking coffee affects the appearance of your teeth. In this blog, we will discuss how coffee is associated with stained teeth and what to do about it.
How Coffee Stains Teeth
Regular coffee drinkers might notice their teeth taking a dull appearance. Although you can get rid of coffee stains, knowing why they form can help you prevent tooth discoloration.
The outer layer of your teeth, also called dental enamel, is the hardest substance in your body. However, it contains tiny pores, leaving room for stains on the surface. When the coffee comes in contact with the porous surface of your teeth, the tannins in the drink seep into the pores. Consequently, you will notice stains on the surface of your teeth. Moreover, since coffee is acidic, it causes the enamel to wear away over time.
In short, coffee is a teeth-staining beverage as it contains tannins. Furthermore, it is acidic, which can make your teeth more susceptible to stains. However, coffee comprises antioxidants, which can be beneficial for your oral health.
Getting Rid of Teeth Discoloration
If you already have stains on your teeth due to coffee, it’s possible to restore the brightness of your smile. Thus, you can opt for whitening treatments to enhance your teeth. Some treatments to get rid of coffee stains on teeth include the following:
- Good Oral Hygiene: You can fight stains by brushing and flossing regularly to get rid of plaque. Moreover, you can consult your dentist for a mouthwash and whitening toothpaste recommendation.
- Regular Dental Visits: Although good oral hygiene is effective in brightening your teeth, nothing comes close to the results of professional dental cleaning. Your dentist can eliminate plaque in places you cannot reach. Hence, you can flash a bright smile by attending your dental visits regularly.
- Professional Teeth Whitening: Regular cleaning helps get rid of coffee stains on teeth. In some cases, though, the stains are a bit deeper. Professional teeth whitening can come to the rescue as it will effectively brighten your smile.
How To Prevent Coffee Stains On Teeth
You can always prevent coffee stains on your teeth by practicing the following tips:
- Brush your teeth a while after drinking coffee to clean any residue and tannins from your mouth.
- Use an electric toothbrush to thoroughly scrub your teeth without an arm or hand fatigue.
- Rinse your mouth after drinking coffee. Swishing water or mouthwash around in your mouth is a convenient way to protect your teeth.
- Munch on something while having coffee to activate saliva, which can help wash away the tannins from your teeth.
- Use a straw for drinking your coffee. This will help prevent coffee stains on teeth.
- Don’t miss your regular dental appointments for professional teeth cleaning.
Coffee stains teeth since it comprises tannins that can invade the pores in your dental enamel. Good news for you; Hermosa Dental can help boost the appearance of your smile with the wide range of services we offer. Contact us now at: