Dental care refers to the maintenance of healthy teeth and oral cavity. Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping the oral cavity clean to avoid any dental disorder. Dentistry includes professional oral hygiene and dental surgery. Along with plaque and calcification on the teeth, there are so many other issues that need your immediate attention such as tooth decay, fractured teeth, worn-out fillings, gum diseases, worn-out tooth enamel, exposed tooth root and crack tooth syndrome. The dentists of Houston, TX, are capable of treating all such issues with the teeth and the oral cavity. Regular visits to the dentists can reduce the chances of any issues worsening. For this reason, book a convenient appointment with our Houston dentist and enjoy a life full of smiles.
Cracked Tooth Syndrome
Cracked tooth syndrome (CTS) is also known as cracked cusp syndrome or split tooth syndrome. It is a painful condition that may occur due to a crack in one or more teeth. It can vary from a hairline crack to fracture that reaches the root. There are different types of cracks in teeth such as:
- Craze lines: Crack in the enamel.
- Fractured cusps: Crack around the dental filling
- Crack extended to gum line: A dangerous condition that might lead to dental extraction
- Split tooth: Crack reaching below the gum line
- Vertical fracture: Crack beginning from the gum line and extending upward
Symptoms of a cracked tooth
If you have a toothache and you remember biting down something hard, it is advised to rush to a dentist near you as soon as possible because you need him or her for timely treatment. At Hermosa Dental of Houston, dentists are very reliable and provide a long-lasting solution for this painstaking problem.
- Although the symptoms of CTS may vary from person to person, everyone will have the following symptoms in common.
- A sharp and unceasing pain. The pain may cease for a little while but comes back on chewing and biting.
- It may also induce sensitivity to hot and cold and to sweet and sour food. It unconsciously causes the patient to chew using one side for all foods.
- It induces sharp localized pain while biting and afterward. It usually occurs after eating fibrous foods.
- It also induces pain while grinding the teeth backward and forward. If the crack propagates into the pulp, it may cause pulpal necrosis.
According to a theory, the tooth pain caused by biting is instigated by the two fractured parts of the tooth that starts moving independently from each other. Due to this, the fluid within the dentinal tubules is triggered by sudden movement. It is also assumed that the cold stimulus is caused by the leakage of a noxious substance from the crack that irritates the pulp of the tooth. Our dentist in Houston uses advanced technologies to treat patients for these problems. One of the effective solutions to this cracked tooth is crowning.
Crown restoration heals the tooth more permanently and predictably. Root canal therapy is also used to treat the infected pulp of the tooth, which results in the removal of the infection and protects the cracked tooth against microbes. Dental extraction may also be applied in which the tooth is removed from the socket. This treatment is applied when the tooth is damaged beyond repair.
Crowns, also known as caps, are a solution for multiple problems. The crown restores the functionality of a decaying damaged tooth. They are positioned on the top of the teeth above large fillings to support and protect the tooth. Crowns can be made up of stainless steel, gold, and ceramic material or porcelain. Crowing requires two appointments with the dentist — one to prepare the tooth and second to position the crown.
Dental crowns can fix a number of problems. They are as durable as bonding and are more stain-resistant. It is a long term solution, and a redo may not be needed for at least 15 years.
If you are suffering from such a problem, our Houston dentist on East Little York can help you with their dedication and experience of more than 13 years. Feel free to contact our Houston dentist Highway 6 or Porter, Tx branch for consultation and treatment.